Perhaps the most interesting place you'll ever stay...
Connect with us!

Winstead Davie

During the year 1853, Winstead Davie (who owned most of the land which is now the site of the City of Anna) and Col. Lewis W. Ashley, Division Engineer, (who had come into possession of a portion of the same tract) determined to lay out a town. The proper surveys were made by Francis H. Brown, the County Surveyor, and lots were laid out on both sides of Main Street and the railroad. Mr. Davie decided to name the town in honor of his beloved wife Anna and under this name the plat was entered upon the county records on March 3, 1854.

PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN ANNA

The city of Anna has been proud of her public schools. The first schoolhouse, built in 1854, on the corner of Franklin and Monroe Street, was destroyed by fire. The city then built a frame schoolhouse on Lot 28, donated by Winstead Davie, and adjoining the fair grounds around 1860. In this building, the youth of the city were educated from 1860 to 1870, under the instruction of Mr. Young, Mr. Congor, William Cochran, E. Babcock, J. M. Brisbin, John Green, C. L. Brooks, H. Andrews, A. Inman, W. H. Hubbell and J. H. Sanborn. In 1869 the city felt the need for a new building and larger accommodations. The district directors C. W. Wilcox, Cyrus Shick and L. P. Wilcox, issued the necessary bonds.  As a result, an elegant three-story brick edifice was built on Lot 23 in the northwestern part of town, at a total cost of $22,500 including furniture.

On Wednesday, January 5, 1870, the total enrollment of 126 children was moved from the small frame building to the new school, where the number was increased to 237 pupils, with J. H. Sanborn as Principal in charge.

Our Building 

The current building, erected in 1910, originally had ten classrooms, including two in the basement level (presently the kitchen and owner's quarters).  In 1953, three additional classrooms, a teacher's lounge, principal's office, nurse's office and gymnasium were added.  This building served as a public school until it was closed after the 1997 school year.

It sat empty and quickly fell into disrepair.  Demolition of the property was actually considered.  Fortunately, in 2002, it was bought by Gary and Andrea Dahmer (the previous owners) who restored and remodeled the property to create an inn. Many rooms still have an original chalk board and book case. The original hardwood floors still show where the student desks left their marks. 
 
In 2017, Lyle and Tammy Woodrum (the present owners) left their careers in corporate America and purchased the inn. We are committed to keeping the things that make the inn great; spacious historic rooms; full delicious breakfasts and over-the-top hospitality while continuing the restoration and remodeling; adding a large deck for our guests; restoring the gym and stage and enhancing the property's security.